Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas


Today is the twelfth day of Christmas. We can officially begin taking our Christmas decorations down now. LOL. Not that I haven't enjoyed them. I have! I remember when I was little, my mom hated Christmas decorations; she really disliked Christmas in general. She always felt we do not know when Jesus was born, so why celebrate it on Dec. 25. She was content to put the Christmas tree up on Christmas Eve and take it down on Dec. 26 (something we did for much of my teenager-hood). But I remember when I was little always feeling a disappointment that Christmas was over. It felt like a big let-down, to me. We had to wait a whole year to do it again. It wasn't about the toys or presents for me, it was really about the celebration. I don't want Taliesin and Nathanael to feel that way. I want them to enjoy their decorations and the spirit of Christmas - even after Dec. 25. Just this last Sunday, while driving home from church, Taliesin asked me why everyone had taken their decorations down. I explained to him that some people take theirs down earlier than we do. We leave ours up for what is called Epiphany - the day we celebrate the wise men coming to Jesus. I just enjoy Christmas too much, I guess. :^)


Kandy

2 comments:

TERI said...

Kandy, can you believe I have my tree up all year round? I just remove the decorations! It seems to go with the log house "decor"!

unschoolermom said...

That is a neat idea! I love it!

Kandy