Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Friday, January 9, 2009

College Days are Here Again..

Well, our (as in Kelsey's and my) college classes for this eight weeks have been updated onto Liberty's website. We finally got our access today! Kelsey is taking another business class (one about organization behavior or something like that) and an aplogetics class. I am taking an inductive Bible study and a teaching class about teaching children to read. I'm excited! The inductive Bible study is very in-depth. Each week has several chapters of reading and several assignments due, plus an exegetical paper over a Bible Passage at the end of eight weeks. The one on teaching children to read should be interesting, considering Taliesin is learning to read in his own way right now. He, of course, does know the sounds that letters make and recognizes several sight words - both in readers and in regular storybooks; but he's learning to read in his own way and at his own pace. The second week, I have an interesting discussion board in this class in which each of us students is required to write about our educational theory regarding learning to read and teaching to read. Should be interesting. I have to say, as I usually do, all children are different. Some learn to read one way, others a totally different way. I think, again, it all comes down to child-directed learning. Yeah, it should definitely be an interesting discussion. :^)

Kandy

2 comments:

TERI said...

Your classes sound so very interesting! I agree with you whole hearted about each child learning to read in their own way. It just facinates me how unique and special each of them are! The Lord is so wonderful.

I also LOVE Dr. Suess! One of my favorites is "Are You My Mother?" And of course, "Put Me In The Zoo"!

unschoolermom said...

I love my college! It definitely is a dream come true to be able to receive my degrees. When I was in high school, my mom was always the type that discouraged college - she never saw a need for it. So I never followed through. But it was always, always something that I knew I was supposed to do.

Dr. Seuss is definitely fun! I think I'm enjoying these unit studies as much as Taliesin and Nathanael. :^)

Kandy