Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Friday, March 20, 2009

Philosophy

"Why is it important to develop a philosophical mindset?" This is the question I had to answer this week for my philosophy class. I replied that a philosophical mindset encourages critical thinking and understanding of ideas and beliefs; but, most importantly, it reveals things about ourselves and our own worldviews that we may not have known before. I used an example of my educational philosophy. For years and years (prior to having children of my own), I was totally opposed to a progressive form of education. I used all of the arguments that anti-progressive eduction, anti-unschooling people use. Then Taliesin came along. After observation and soul-searching, I discovered that not only I did agree with progressive education and unschooling, but we have changed our entire lifestyle to meet the needs of my sons through these philosophies. Hmm. I think I'm going to like this class.

Kandy

3 comments:

Show Us The World said...

Oh, this sounds like a very interesting class to me. I hope you share more as you continue through it.

Show Us The World said...

I left you an award on my blog. =)

unschoolermom said...

I will definitely share more! The next discussion board is pretty interesting - metaphysically speaking (think robots). Thank you for the award! I will check it out. :^)

Kandy