Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The Santa Debate

This time of year always bring the debate about Santa Claus. Should Christians allow their children to believe in Santa Claus? Are we lying to our children if we do? What does Santa Claus have to do with Jesus' birthday?
These are all important questions and are definitely aspects that all of us should consider. I believe the answer to these questions lies with each individual family. I, personally, do not believe that either is wrong. Taliesin and Nathanael do enjoy the Santa aspect of Christmas; but they understand that when we celebrate Christmas, we are celebrating the birth of Jesus (even though, I explain to them that we do not know for sure what time of year Jesus was born). But they do enjoy sending letters to the North Pole and getting presents from Santa. At the same time, we emphasize that Santa is symbolic of the spirit of giving. Santa, of course, stems from St. Nicholas, the Catholic patron saint of children. One movie that I enjoy immensely this time of year is Polar Express. I love the way Santa, in this movie, tells the little boy that he (Santa) is a symbol of Christmas and the spirit of giving. I think that one statement wraps up the entire movie and the idea of Santa Claus very nicely. I often hear people ask, "How did you find out 'the truth' about Santa. My reply is always the same - what truth? I'm happy to say, I definitely believe in Santa Claus and what he represents. What better way to serve Christ than by giving - to our friends and family and to those in need? I hope the idea and magic of Santa Claus is something that Taliesin and Nathanael will always carry with them.

Kandy

No comments: