Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Discussion with another College Student

... over curriculum standards for Kansas.
I am having an interesting discussion right now with another student in my teaching class over why I do not agree with the standards of learning in place for the state of Kansas. I have stated my opinion - the original posting from a couple of days ago. One of the students has replied to me that, as a public school parent, she is glad states have standards of learning in place. This was my reply to her:

I definitely agree. I think since the school system has those in place, it is good that parents are able to follow along and help the school with their children's education. I think the key to success in any school system, as has been pointed out in many of the previous lessons, is cooperation between the school, the teachers, the parents, and the children. What I mean to say is, that at least with Kansas' curriculum standards (I have not had a chance to review a lot of the other states' standards) is that the standards in place are, in my opinion, not the best - or at least not as adequate as they should be. I did find out somewhat what the public school system here is like when we had Taliesin enrolled in speech therapy. They honestly did not allow any room for children to be different - whether that be in a good or bad way. One of their main focueses was to be sure he acted like his peers. Well, I do not want him to be just like his peers. I want him to be able to think for himself, whether people agree or disagree. I want him to have his own interests. That was a big point of conflict between the public school system and us (my husband and me). I think there are several reasons schools now are focusing mostly on math, reading, and social skills. I think one is, of course, No Child Left Behind. I think the null curriculum, however, speaks volumes about what the school system here in Kansas wants. They want kids that are socialized by the school system. Any type of curriculum that would allow for a child to use his own creativity and imagination is not there, even in children as young as kindergarten. This is a link to a poem that I think all teachers should read before beginning their career. It speaks volumes: http://home.bresnan.net/~cabreras/theboy.htm.
That said, I think each of us students in this class are gleaning information for our futures in teaching - whichever form that may take. There are some who are studying psychology who are gleaning psychological information for their future work with children. There are those who are studying to be teachers in a public school school area. They are gleaning the teaching information and have to pay attention to the standards for their states. There are those who are planning to teach in private schools, who will glean information from the standards but do not have to apply it as much as the public schools do. Then there are those of us (I think just me in this class) who are using any teaching credits strictly for homeschooling. When I see the standards for Kansas, I see another reason why we choose to homeschool. I hope that makes sense. I am just trying to explain my viewpoint in general, not just about homeschooling. However, since homeschooling is my purpose in taking this class; I apply what I learn to real life - which is for us, homeschooling.
God bless.
Kandy


I could not answer what other states have as curriculum standards. I can only answer for Kansas. But I hope I got my personal point across. :^)

Kandy

No comments: