Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Monday, April 21, 2008

child-directed learning

A few days ago, there was a posting on the Homefires discussion forum from Diane Flynn Keith. It talked about how sometimes we, as parents, feel as though we have to push our kids into learning based on what others are learning in public schools. I know I am guilty of that sometimes. Sometimes it takes days like the past few days to snap me back to where I should be. Taliesin is learning the mandolin and has been practicing for a talent contest coming up next month. You should have seen him beam today when he played the song "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round" with minimal help. He was so proud of himself. Right now, both boys are in the back yard helping their dad with planting a garden. Nathanael is mesmorized with the earthworms and grubs Kelsey has been unearthing with each dig with the shovel. Taliesin takes each earthwom and puts it beside our newly planted grape vine because they will help it grow. I just need to remember these moments the next time I think I need to press more school subjects on them. :^)

1 comment:

April said...

Wow! I have been struggling with this as well! I have to remember why I am homeschooling in the first place. We do a "curriculum" for grammar and math, but I am letting the children's interests guide us in everything else.

I am glad I stumbled upon your blog!