Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Unschooling Interests

We are having a conversation on the Christ-Centered Unschoolers list about "lessons." You know, the daily plans we homeschoolers often like to have to be sure that our kids are "learning." One thing I've noticed about unschooling parents. They love it when their kids enjoy - um, let's just say - non-traditional things. They understand when kids get into a specific movie or a specific genre of writing or a specific type of music - and they encourage that interest. I blogged a week or so ago about how Taliesin and Nathanael are so much into Star Wars right now. And as much as I - um - do not care particularly for Star Wars, they have learned a lot from those movies. They inspire them to study more about space. They get us into discussions about good and evil. They get us into the whys of individual actions and how our behavior affects others. Why would I ever want to stop that kind of natural, interest-driven learning - even if it is from movies that I could live without watching over and over and over.

Kandy

2 comments:

Show Us The World said...

Yes, we do tend to love it when our kids run with interests that are unconventional or not our own, don't we? Austin still likes Star Wars and I'm with you-not my thing either.
Krystal

Lisa Russell said...

It's also a great reminder that we learn more when we enjoy and choose the material.