Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Bible School and educational philosophy

I have been teaching Bible school this week at church. Actually, I have been the game leader - an enjoyable experience! Taliesin and Nathanael had a blast this week! They made some awesome artwork, sang fun songs, learned meaningful stories, and participated in some exciting games. I really loved the curriculum that they used - the space program through Answers in Genesis. Now I am really looking forward to next year!

I also made some interesting educational observations during VBS this week.

I have honestly noticed that the children that I know for a fact are under a more traditional school system (attend the local private school here) were so much more competitive in the games. For them, it was all about winning. The ones who were not under such a traditional system were much more gentle, willing to help out their fellow team members (and even those on the other team) who were not as athletically-inclined as they are. It was like those who were from the traditional school saw everything in black and white. There was a definite right way and a definite wrong way to play the games - even for those who were physically not able to keep up. If they could not keep up and were upset because they couldn't play, that's too bad. There were absolutes fixed in their minds. Those who were not under this system day in and day out saw that there are gray areas. Yes, it is important to play the games fairly; but there are those who are not as good in games like this as they are. They were willing to bend the rules a little to help out someone else - even someone else on the other team. I, personally, would much rather see children who are willing to help someone else out rather than see them so strict in rules that they cannot see the other feelings of others. This week just proved to me over and over why I favor more progressive, constructivist, pragmatic systems of education.

Kandy

4 comments:

Dandelionkisses said...

Thank you so much for your comment on my blog! :)

TERI said...

what a telling observation. I am sure it is interesting to watch this take place. By the way, I love Answers in Genesis!

unschoolermom said...

I love Answers and Genesis as well. This was definitely an awesome curriculum!

Kandy

Rebecca said...

Such good thoughts. And reading up on these comments - see I'll have to check out Answers and Genesis, too.